Feeding the hungry and homeless in San Francisco
Our Star outreach to the poor ministry mission is to provide opportunities to practice the Corporal Works of Mercy:
• To give drink to the thirsty.
• To shelter the homeless.
• To clothe the naked.
• To visit the sick.
• To visit the imprisoned.
• To bury the dead.
About our ministry:
Star Outreach gained momentum when Pope Francis declared the Jubilee Year of Mercy. In his Christmas homily that year, he said to make this a “Mercy Christmas” by helping others through the “works of mercy.”
Working together WE ALL are able to serve the poor, the homeless and the needy in San Francisco:
- We serve the homeless weekly with the Missionaries of Charity.
- We cooked for the homeless enough to feed up to 150 individuals.
- We collaborate with the parish Preschool and our parishioners to provide beanie hats, scarves, and warm gloves for the winter.
- Every Fifth Sunday of the Year our parish second offering and additional financial donations by generous parishioners are used to purchase the ingredients for the meals we serve; to help purchase items for the Gabriel Project’s pregnant moms, to help the homeless with personal toiletries (purchasing, towels and toiletries for 100 homeless).
- In memory of Thomas Hooker (a friendly local “homeless”) who left a legacy of kindness to all of us here in the neighborhood, we have an annual Thanksgiving Drive with food donations that benefit St. Anthony’s in the Tenderloin and the Missionaries of Charity in their commitment to serving the homeless.
If you have a strong passion and are discerning a call to serve in any of the Corporal Works of Mercy, please contact Mariana Quintanilla, firstname.lastname@example.org.