Our Marian Shrine
Star of the Sea a Marian Shrine
With the blessing of the Archbishop of San Francisco, Salvatore Cordileone, Star of the Sea parish is building a Shrine to Our Lady of the Rosary. Sixteen shrines along the east and west walls of the church will portray the most important apparitions of Our Lady throughout history. Each will feature a 48-inch statue or image of that apparition, candles and kneelers for devotions, and a pamphlet describing not only the facts of the apparition but also the most vital words of Our Lady’s message at that time.
The following apparitions are included:
- Fatima (Portugal, 1917) Feast Day May 13
- Lourdes (France, 1858) Feast Day February 11
- Akita (Japan, 1973)
- Guadalupe (Mexico, 1531) Feast Day December 12
- Champion (Wisconsin, 1859) Feast Day October 9
- Knock (Ireland, 1879) Feast Day August 21
- Miraculous Medal (Paris, 1830) Feast Day November 27
- La Salette (France, 1846) Feast Day September 19
- Lady of China (China, 1868) Feast Day May 24
- Manaoag (Philippines, 1610) Celebrated all month of May
- La Vang (Vietnam, 1798) Feast Day November 22
- Czestochowa (Poland, 1655) Feast Day August 26
- Good Success (Ecuador, 1594) Feast Day February 2
- Kibeho (Rwanda, 1981) Feast Day November 28
- Banneux (Belgium, 1933) Feast Day May 31
- Mt. Carmel (Israel, 1251) Feast Day July 16
These shrines have statues installed, and they have devotional candles. We invite you to visit our shrine church, located five minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge, at 4420 Geary Blvd in San Francisco. Parking is available and the church is open from
TO LEARN ABOUT BASIC FACTS AND THE MESSAGE OF EACH APPARITION PLEASE DOWNLOAD A PDF COPY OF THE TITLE OF YOUR CHOICE (BELOW) PREPARED BY THE STAR OF THE SEA PASTOR FR. JOSEPH ILLO.
IMAGES OF THE MARIAN STATUES AND ICONS INSTALLED IN OUR SHRINE
We invite you to pray the Rosary every day
“On 13 May 1917, the shepherd children (Lúcia dos Santos, Francisco
We pray the Rosary after each Mass: Monday to Friday
CHILDREN’S FLOWERS TO OUR LADY
A NEW TRADITION AT STAR OF THE SEA With the desire to welcome our young families, and to build community, and to show our love to our youngest parishioners, we began a new tradition that is tied to the Apparitions of Mary’s shrines at Star. Each Sunday after the 9:30am Mass, we invite the children attending this Mass to get a fresh flower that we provide, and to gather in front of the main sanctuary to listen to one of our priests talk about one of our Lady’s apparitions. The children then follow our priest to the chosen shrine and they place the flowers in a vase on the shrine to our Lady. It is a well liked and successful activity that the children are eager to participate, and it brings joy to all of us attending the Mass. The children and adults are learning all about the different apparitions of Mary.
Enjoy this short video clip recorded at Star of the Sea Church
A glimpse to the Walk to Mary 2023
Light a Candle!
We have 16 new candle racks for each of the Apparitions of Mary’s shrines in our church. Please light a candle in one of our shrines for someone in need of your prayers, for your prayer intentions, or In gratitude to God for answered prayers.
THE HAIL MARY
Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee;
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR SHRINE!